7 Ways My Husband Shows His Love
My husband and I have been married for seven years now. To me, making it seven years was a big deal. Someone once told me, that if you make it to seven years, you’ll make it. I can’t even remember who it was that told me that, but over the ups and downs of my relationship, that’s what I told myself. Well, we’ve made it to seven years, and I can honestly say… I am more happy in my relationship now than I was seven years ago.
We’ve had many ups and downs. Having two children together has brought out the best and the worst in our relationship. I’d never have imagined that having a child would bring out so many fights between us that first year, and then I never would have imagined that getting through that stage would have brought us together in the way that it did
Getting older, having children, and taking on more responsibilities has lead to big changes for us over the last several years; both of us are quite different from the 25 year-old’s that said, “I do.” When we first got married, I thought that showing love meant to bring flowers home on a regular occasion. To book extravagant trips around the world. To go out on dates at fancy restaurants and order a bottle of champagne. That was nice, but now I know what real love is.
Real love is when my husband…
1. Brings me coffee in bed. I know it’s the same as saying, “Darnit, get up already!!” But, it’s such a nicer way to do it. And, it really does wake me up. Eventually.
2. Says, “Have a great time,” as I head out the door on the way to a Girls Night Out. So much better than “When are you going to be back?” or “You owe me!”
3. Asks, “What can I do to help?” instead of “Dude, that sucks,” when I tell Jon how stressed out I am. Asking someone how they can help is the sweetest thing you can say to another when they are feeling overwhelmed.
4. Empties the dishwasher. This may sound trite, but one of the sexiest things a husband can do is unload a dishwasher. Without being asked.
5. Opens my car door for me. We’ve been getting in and out of cars with and without kids for years now, and I certainly don’t expect him to always be opening my door for me. I’m completely capable. But, it sure is sexy when he goes out of his way to let me in first. It’s a treat reserved for date nights now. So rarely.
6. Bakes a cake. Ok, so admittedly, Jonnie’s only done that once. It may never happen again, as I kind of under-appreciated it at the time, and he had a major clean-up effort after he put the batter in a pan way to small and it over-flowed in the oven. But the idea of my husband doing something completely out of his comfort zone out of love for me makes me swoon.