DIY Chiquita Banana Checkers
I looked forward to power outages as a child because it meant that my parents would light the room with candles and get out the boardgames. My mom would make us snacks and my dad would entertain us with his jokes. We’d play checkers or monopoly together until the wee hours, long after the power returned. It was the best. It’s one of those moments that you don’t forget as a child, because it feels so special. I look forward to having blackout memories with my own child. Oh and I already have the snack part covered. Make checkers edible by using banana slices in place of your game pieces. The kids will love being able to eat their “checkers” and I’m sure this will turn into one of those special, never forget, memories for them.
1-2 Chiquita Bananas
Red ribbon spool
Black ribbon spool
1. Cut 12 – 1 inch strips of red ribbon and 12 – 1 inch strips of black ribbon. Tie to toothpicks.
2. Slice Chiquita banana into 24 pieces. You might need an additional Chiquita banana depending on the size.
3. Stick toothpicks with ribbon in each banana slice.
4. Set up checkers game, using the Chiquita banana slices in place of the game pieces. To “king” a piece, stack Chiquita banana pieces under the toothpick.
5. After the game is over, enjoy a Chiquita banana snack!